First Post: Thanksgiving Cupcakes!
So with the holidays right around the corner –and my need to provide a dessert for my RTN club’s Thanksgiving dinner– I present to you a recipe for pumpkin spice cupcakes with salted caramel buttercream frosting! Delicious!
Let me tell you something: These cupcakes are the perfect combination of pumpkin and buttery frosting and they aren’t sickeningly sweet. Perfect for kids and adults alike!
First things first: Ingredients.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger*
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice*
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled (if you only have salted butter, omit the salt)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree*Because I’m probably the laziest person in the world, I substituted all these spices with 2 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice.
Salted Caramel Buttercream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Start lining your cupcake pans with liners.
2. Whisk dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt (if you used unsalted butter), and spices. Put this bowl aside.
3. In another bowl, mix together both the white and brown sugars with the butter and eggs. Beat until well combined.
4. Add dry ingredients to this mixture until combined, then fold in the pumpkin puree.
5. Fill the cupcake pans about halfway. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the frosting:
I was running a little late for the party so I don’t have any pictures to show you the steps for this part. My bad!
1. To make caramel, stir together water and white sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
1a.Cook without stirring until the liquid turns a deep amber color. Remove from heat.
1b. Slowly add cream and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Let cool for 15-20 minutes until just barely warm and still pourable.
2. Beat butter and salt (if you used unsalted butter; if you only have salted, just beat the butter) until fluffy.
3. Add powdered sugar and mix (on low speed if you’re using a mixer) until combined.
4. Add caramel and beat for 2-3 minutes, when the mixture is light and airy.If it’s too runny, refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
5. Top cupcakes and enjoy! :)
(Adapted from the recipe on Made in Melissa’s Kitchen)